In the 16th Century the population of the whole of the ancient Parish of Claines including the Tything was 328. By the time of the consecration of the Church of St Stephen on 22nd August 1862 this figure is recorded as being slightly under 10,000 of which some 2,000 were living within the Barbourne district.
The Church was built upon land given by Miss Lavender and Mrs Gutch, her sister, who lived at Barbourne House. This was a substantial residence constructed in the Georgian style and located on the north-eastern side of Gheluvelt Park. The site is now occupied by some of the former soldiers' homes that run parallel to Lavender Road. From January 1863, Barbourne House was occupied by the first holder of the office of churchwarden - Rear Admiral Hastings. It is interesting to note that one portion of the drive forming the circular access turning area adjacent to the House can still be seen in the form of a semi-circle in front of the row of large houses in Lavender Road. The drive leading to Barbourne House was subsequently known locally as “Admirals Walk", in recognition of the Admiral's habit of frequently walking up and down the drive, as if still pacing the quarter-deck of a sailing ship, which he had done so many times prior to his retirement from the navy.
Bishop Allenby Hall
The Bishop Allenby Hall adjacent to the church is available for private hire most weekends and there is limited availability during the week. To enquire about availability and hire rates, please contact Michelle Walsh on 07961097497 or email email@example.com
FOR INFORMATION The main hall measures 13mx 6.6mx 3.5m high
(all measurements are approximate)
There are 100 chairs and a variety of table shapes and sizes. There is a small stage.
For a sit down meal the hall will seat about 60 - 70 guests with slightly more capacity for less formal events.
Venue is avaliable for hire. Please contact the venue directly.